Have you ever wondered what the difference between alternative fuel vehicles like flex fuel, electric and hybrid was? So have I, so here is a quick rundown of some of the alternative vehicles currently on the market, as well as a few still being developed.
- Hybrid: A hybrid combines two propulsion systems, generally gas and electric.
- Plug-in Hybrid: This will get great mileage and be able to cover long distances on battery power itself, with a gas engine as a reserve.
- Electric: Zero-emission vehicle operating on an electric drive motor.
- Biodiesel: Runs on an alternative fuel made from things like soybeans and used vegetable oil.
- Ethanol: Alcohol-based fuel derived from biomass.
- Hydrogen: The cleanest alternative fuel of all, with no emissions from its internal combustion engine.
- Air-powered: Fairly new concept, with compressed air being air as a power source.
- Natural Gas: This clean-burning fossil fuel is becoming popular in medium to heavy-duty vehicles.