As Americans, we all claim to be doing all we can to “go green,” but are we doing all we can? Here are a few great tips for helping Mother Earth and ourselves in the process.
- You can save energy, and a few bucks by setting the thermostat three degrees higher in the summer and three degrees lower in the winter.
- When your incandescent light bulbs need replacing, do so with CFLs (compact fluorescent light bulbs).
- Either unplug appliances that are not in use or install a “smart” power strip which can sense when an appliance is off and cut the energy use off.
- Up to 85 percent of a washing machine’s energy goes into heating your water. Use cold water for washing as much as you can.
- If you are not in any rush to have that particular load dried, place it on a clothesline or drying rack.