We have all made an environmental concession or two in our lives. Mine happens to involve coffee, and I really love my coffee. There are far grander ventures I could have chosen, but why not coffee? After all; besides crude oil, coffee is the highest traded commodity on the planet.
Here are some ways to make your java choice easier on our environment.
- Buy Local: At least as local as you can, depending on your location.
- Purchase shade-grown coffee: This will not only provide a richer flavor, but it preserves the habitat of some migratory birds.
- Brew your own: This will allow you to purchase in bulk to save money and excess packaging.
- Use a reusable filter: This can keep thousands of paper filters out of our landfills every year.
- Compost: Coffee grounds are very high in nitrogen, making it great to use as fertilizer.